Brad

Brad Klinghagen wrote:
> I'm configuring a new firewall appliance (an Acrosser AR-M9952 network
> appliance/embedded PC), and it uses the RealTek RTL8100 BL NIC driver. To
> try and determine what NIC driver to use, I consulted their website which
> indicated that for all the various OSes, the driver for rtl8100 xL and
> rtl8139 xl are the same. So based on that I thought to try either 8139cp.o
> or 8139too.o (along with crc32.o and mii.o ) modules. Initially I loaded
> both (8139cp and 8139too), and the system gave a message indicating to try
> 8139too.o module, which is what I've done.
>

> The system goes through the boot up process fine, and it seems to load the
> drivers because each of the NICs (three of them) are identified by ETH0,
> ETH1, ETH2, their MAC addresses, and assigned IRQs.
>

> To assign IP addresses, ETH0 uses DHCP to pick up a static IP from my ISP,
> and the other two have static IPs.  DHCP never picks up the address from the
> ISP, and when I try to ping any of the IP addresses from the system itself,
> a message appears stating that it I entered an invalid argument.

It might help if you posted the original error along with the output of
lsmod and dmesg.

> Is there another module I'm supposed to use (like r8169.o), or am I out of
> luck. It would seem if the Realtek driver is the same for either NIC (8139
> or 8100), it would seem to me that the 8139.o module should work - but I'm
> probably over simplifying things.

yes, the Realtek page suggests that. They also say, that the driver is
in the current kernel distribution

> If there isn't a driver available, do I have any options that would allow me
> to use this new appliance?

A quick check might be to load a current knoppix disk and see if it can
use the NICs. If it can't chances are they are badly supported. I looked
at the 8139too source, they reference the 8100B model, so this should work.

cheers

Erich