I've upgraded my Leaf box to the latest 3.1.1 beta and have downloaded and
installed M. Kirchdoerfer's re-compiled kernel and moddb.lrc (thank you very
much) however I still get the dreaded "pppd[882]: Couldn't set MRRU:
Inappropriate ioctl for device" message. What am I doing wrong?

pgm

KP Kirchdoerfer
Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:18:20 -0700
Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2008 21:52:30 schrieb groups, freeman:
> I've got a BuC 3.0beta2 box connected via PPPoE using DSL.
>
> I'm wanting to implement single-physical-connection MLPPP but it's not
> working, so at the top level I'm wondering if anyone has tried this
> (MLPPP using one or more physical connections) and had success or failure?
>
> Specifically for myself, I've tried to activate it by beginning with
> adding the option:
>     mp
> to my /etc/ppp/options file, but then my PPP connection does not
> connect. The most striking message I get is this:
>     Jun 15 10:14:48 ssh pppd[17384]: Couldn't set MRRU: Inappropriate
> ioctl for device
>
> According to this very lucid post:
>     http://osdir.com/ml/ppp/2003-07/msg00061.html
>
> this 'ioctl' error can be caused by the kernel option
>     CONFIG_PPP_MULTILINK
> having not been activated.
>
> So I'm wondering if someone might be able to tell me if this kernel
> option is active for the BuC 3.0RC2 kernel (Linux R50 2.4.33 #1 Mon Sep
> 4 15:52:08 CEST 2006 i686 unknown)?
>
> (And if it's not active, is it possible that someone could compile me
> one where it is?)
>
> PS: You may ask: why my desire for a single-physical-link MP? It's
> apparently one way to evade the bandwidth throttle of big brother (Bell
> Canada). Notably Bell Canada is not my ISP, they are the incumbent local
> carrier, mandated to share their physical last-mile copper ... so they
> are my ISP's ISP, but Bell is throttling *my* traffic. Actually they
> aren't throttling /my/ traffic, since I'm not a regular heavy downloader
> I can't even get the throttle to activate on my traffic but I'm curious
> about this MP feature and it apparently it can actually be done on a
> single physical line ... so I'm just wanting to see if I can make it work.
>
> More info for anyone curious:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20484600-TomatoMLPPP-released-evade-thrott
>le-or-bond-two-DSL-lines
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20456553-MLPPP-Guide-on-Linux
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1307973~5489c0c998b786b6fec6adafa42fb
>a5e/mlppp%20guide.pdf

Hi
I've committed an updated kernel and moddb.lrp for the latest beta version
(3.1.1) with ppp multilink enabled. You may update from your release
candidate to the latest beta and then replace the kernel and moddb with the
from cvs to testdrive ppp multilink.

kp