Mike Noyes wrote:
>> -snip-
>>
>> Ken,
>> No. See: Project Goals
>>
>>         "Maintain as small a footprint as possible for release/branch
>>         target installations."
>
> Ken,
> Just to clarify, the LEAF project description and goals haven't had the
> word floppy in them for years.

I'm guessing that would be an honoust mistaken from anyone that
remembers the abandoned Linux Router Project. With LEAF having adopted
so much from that earlier project it can be hard to tell the difference
at first glance.

The concept of having read-only media to boot from has, in my opinion,
not lost its validity. The thought of being able to reboot and loose
anything a hacker has changed, is very assuring. Obviously you'll still
need to plug the leak that the hacker discovered, but at least you have
no immediate worry about others discovering the hackers backdoor.

I realize that none of the commercial products appear to be using this
concept, but their solution is to reset to factory defaults. In essence
that is no different, but it offers a lot less flexibility towards the
people operating it. I do not use LEAF out of cheapness, I use it
because I think I can do a better job than those commercial products.

Gordon