Hello Tom;

Am Mittwoch, 9. Februar 2011, um 13:16:41 schrieb Tom Erjavec:
>  Hello List!
>
> First, thanks to developers for bringing up version 4.
>
> Testing Bering-uClibc_4.0-beta2_i486_syslinux_ser.tar.gz on PCEngines
> WRAP  I noticed some strange behaviour which was annoying. Never before
> since version 2 have I noticed such a behaviour although I am testing
> Beta 2 in an exactly the same environment.
>
> 1.
> On boot, a fresh Beta 2 stops at "boot:" prompt and seems to wait
> forever. My syslinux is ver. 3.63. The docs say that setting syslinux
> parameter TIMEOUT to 0 disables timeout (this is the default value)
> indicating that the boot sequence should start automatically. On
> previous versions of uClibc Bering it did, on Beta 2 it does not, at
> least not on my setup. Changing this parameter to anything else than 0
> enables auto-boot after the timeout. Here is a link to a snapshot of a
> HyperTerminal in the waiting state:
> http://www.erjavec.info/uClibcBering/Startup.jpg
> with the following syslinux.cfg configuration:
> --------------------
> SERIAL 0
> 19200
> DISPLAY
> syslinux.dpy
> TIMEOUT 0
>
> APPEND reboot=bios console=ttyS0,19200n8
> VERBOSE=1
> DEFAULT /syslinux/linux initrd=/initrd.lrp rw root=/dev/ram0
> LEAFCFG=/dev/sda1:vfat
> --------------------
> This is OK for me but a new user might have problems with it when
> switching from a serial console to SSH console.

In a recent user mail a similar (mis)behaviour of timeout could be seen...
Anyway I can't see it testing isoimages in qemu. Seems to be releated to
images supporting a serial line from the scratch.

Is it correct that your workaround is to set the Timeout to anything else?

> 2.
> When editing config files, either in lrcfg or directly from a command
> line (with edit), I am getting inserted 3 characters, sometimes 5 at the
> very beginning of the first edited file. The common part of the strings
> is ';3R'. This happens in all cases: through HyperTerminal, through
> TeraTerm Pro (both serial), and through SSH terminal.
> Link: http://www.erjavec.info/uClibcBering/ssh-file-editing.jpg
> Link: http://www.erjavec.info/uClibcBering/editor-HyperTerminal.jpg
> Previous versions of uClibc Bering never did that to me. There seems to
> be something wrong also specifically in the serial communications, since
> HyperTerminal receives strange characters when quitting an edited file
> or when hopping between the menus in lrcfg. Eventually it drops out of
> lrcfg onto the command line.
> See snapshot:
> http://www.erjavec.info/uClibcBering/HyperTerminal-communication.jpg
>
> Since other users did not report that, it could be also something that I
> did wrong or my WRAP, although before I never noticed it with other
> uClibc Berings on the same hardware.

Looks really odd. I use an alix box and never saw that - neither on the serial
line nor via ssh. In the past there has been others trying to run a 4.x
version on WRAP - maybe one of them can confirm or better help. Erich?

> 3.
> I'd appreciate an info on when asterisk package would be available for
> ver 4.0. Or, alternatively, if there is going to be available a
> compatibility library for using ver 3.x packages on 4.0 (as it used to
> be in ver 3.x for packages 2.x).

I'm sorry, but it's not on the agenda for 4.0. which is in bugfix-mode to get a
stable release any time soon.

Until today we even had someone, who we could ask to test packages, luckily
this has changed now :)

A compatibilty library won't work, cause with the kernel update to 2.6 the
whole ISDN subsystem packages needs to be reworked/rebuild.

kp