On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 18:11 -0500, superchode . wrote:

> the problem was DNS resolution.  i manually entered my ISP's DNS servers into
> the resolv.conf file to get it going.
>
> the documentation refers to a "nodns" setting in pump.conf, but i haven't
> been able to find where that is, yet.
>
> in the meantime, it's online and functioning via the manual DNS server
> entries (from the static ip section of that doc).
>

> i was under the impression that pump (at least in pump.lrp form) was
> obsolete?  where does one access pump.conf?

So pump is obsolete, or certainly deprecated. The recommendation is to
use dhcpcd.lrp instead.

In my installation I run dhcpcd with the default configuration settings
(i.e. "#option interface_mtu" commented out) and with the dnsmasq
"resolv-file=/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf" added as per the Wiki link in my
earlier email. It sounds like that will fix your problems - are you able
to test that configuration?

I have now added a reference to the "dnsmasq" edit in the "External
Interface" section of the Wiki user guide.

There might be some merit in applying the "dnsmasq" edit as part of the
default configuration for Bering-uClibc 4.x, since dhcpcd is also
configured as part of the default configuration. That way DNS would work
straight away, for Cable Modem & dhcpcd users. Other users would have
more to change though.

dMb