On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 07:46 -0500, superchode . wrote:

> i did eventually find the correct dhcpcd setting (as you've shown, above) and
> it works just fine.  to get it working initially, i had my connection set up
> on a static configuration (as per the wiki) with the DNS servers referenced
> directly.  i knew this wasn't a correct implementation so i went digging back
> into dnsmasq and the wiki and sorted it out.
>

> the problem for me, initially, was probably:
> 1/ inexperience with setting up a cable connection (ie. not knowing that
> dhcpcd was the way to go).
>

> 2/ the entry in the wiki for ethernet (e.g. cable modem) had no info.
> labelled 'TO DO'.  it appears to be partially populated, now, though not with
> direct info that would let a novice user set up their dynamic dhcp connection
> straight away.
>

> 3/ reference to pump.lrp and pump.conf on the dnsmasq wiki page.  pump is
> gone from bering-uclibc, so i don't see what that info's doing in there.  it
> implied to me that a module separate from dnsmasq was taking care of the
> external dhcp connection, but no such module could be found.
>

> all very easily made a lot more clear with a few lines in the wiki.  it would
> be nice if there was a statement in the dnsmasq page explicitly stating that
> "resolv-file=/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf" is the recommended way to go for a
> dynamic dhcp (e.g. Cable modem) connection.  another explicit statement that
> pump is no longer utilized by bering-uclibc by default (perhaps referenceing
> back to the relevant dnsmasq config line) and there should really be no
> issues (even for the novice).
>

> i completely understand the need to balance the default configuration in
> regards to how much work individual users with different types of connections
> will have to do, but when a compromise is made, in that regard, an
> appropriate reference in the documentation should be made, if possible.  the
> relevant example here would be the dnsmasq
> "resolv-file=/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf" line.  explicitly stating in the wiki
> that dynamic dhcp users will have no DNS resolution by default and how to
> enable it would be very helpful.
>

> i hope i don't sound negative in the above comments.  i'm just trying to
> improve the experience for others in future.  absolutely love the operation
> of the bering-uclibc firewall and i'd love for it to be more accessible to
> more users.

Superchode,

Thanks for the feedback, and glad you got things working. I will try to
correct the specific points you mention in the Wiki next time I get
chance (hopefully at the weekend).

Please be assured that you do not sound negative. I would like to thank
you for taking the time to point out what is confusing and not clear. We
are all trying to make it better / easier for new users. IMHO the main
developers and the more experienced users can get "too close" to spot
what is not obvious to a new user, so we need to be told.

The Wiki is new, and there is too much that is incomplete (hence
labelled "TODO") or plain wrong (mostly copied from the Bering-uClibc
3.x docs and not yet checked / corrected). It will take time to fix
everything, so please everyone help point out what the priority areas
are. One good thing about the Wiki approach is that it is easy for me
and others to publish new content, once we know what is required.

dMb