nevermind, solved.

local software firewall problem, and nothing to do with leaf or shorewall.

sorry for the false alarm.

From: the_superch...@hotmail.com
To: leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:53:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] shorewall - DNAT rules not being applied

alright. i was delaying my response to this, because i had a consumer router
(with dhcp off) inbetween the leaf firewall and my machine and one of the fine
gents in #shorewall mentioned that this would prevent the shorewall DNAT rules
from working.

it was always the intention to put a switch in place of that consumer router,
so i thought i'd wait till that was finished to do any more testing of the
shorewall rules on the firewall.

the new switch is in and the results... are exactly the same.

to answer Tom's question, the counters shown by 'shorewall show nat' are
incrementing, but external sites don't see the ports as open.

the only other information i have is that when i'm actually using bittorrent,
the port i've mapped for that does appear open and tests out that way on the
same sites that show it as closed when bittorrent is not running on the local
machine.

i have attached the status.zip file as indicated would be needed by the
shorewall support guidelines.

please let me know if i can provide any more information that would be of use.
thanks.