Hi Boris

Am 09.07.2015 um 18:13 schrieb Boris:
Hej LEAF-user,

no troubles since years (thank you all!!) but now I found a new phenomen
and do not know how to handle - hope to find some help in here....

I'm running an older leaf box as router and firewall (3.1) and use a
name-based rule in shorewall to filter some stuff, something like

ACCEPT    loc    net:www.gmx.de    all

AFAIK this notation has been deprecated a long time ago.
See

http://shorewall.net/configuration_file_basics.htm#dnsnames

Now some weeks ago, the service from www.gmx.de (this is an example!)
became unstable at the client and I finally found out that the IP behind
the name www.gmx.de changes from time to time. Also, nslookup tells me
something about a 'canonical name' which I didn't realize at other hosts:

So you may have run into the above.

Solutions....

You could try to assemble a list of IP addresses for the service you want to access. I would not recommend that.

Better you should use rules for specific services, allow those services unrestricted or to a group of addresses you trust.

cheers

Erich