Hej Erich,

thanks a lot for taking part!

Am 09.07.2015 um 18:45 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Boris
>
> Am 09.07.2015 um 18:13 schrieb Boris:
>> Hej LEAF-user,
>>

>> no troubles since years (thank you all!!) but now I found a new phenomen
>> and do not know how to handle - hope to find some help in here....
>>
>> I'm running an older leaf box as router and firewall (3.1) and use a
>> name-based rule in shorewall to filter some stuff, something like
>>
>> ACCEPT    loc    net:www.gmx.de    all
>
> AFAIK this notation has been deprecated a long time ago.
> See
>
> http://shorewall.net/configuration_file_basics.htm#dnsnames

Yes, I know... I should switch to the new syntax that would spell like

Web/ACCEPT    loc    net:www.gmx.de

In fact, I'm trying to make a service on ports 80 and 443 reachable.

>> Now some weeks ago, the service from www.gmx.de (this is an example!)
>> became unstable at the client and I finally found out that the IP behind
>> the name www.gmx.de changes from time to time. Also, nslookup tells me
>> something about a 'canonical name' which I didn't realize at other hosts:
>
> So you may have run into the above.
>
> Solutions....
>
> You could try to assemble a list of IP addresses for the service you
> want to access. I would not recommend that.
>
> Better you should use rules for specific services, allow those services
> unrestricted or to a group of addresses you trust.

OK, I'm with you! I didn't mention that the service is running on ports
80 an d 443 and that the clients ar supposed to be non-surfing clients!

So, solution #1 is the way to go??

Thanks again,

Boris