I needed to apply some shaping on incoming traffic to preserve bandwidth for
streaming services. bering-uclibc version 5.2.4 appeared to offer the
necessary facilities - linux 4.1.16 supports it and apparently tc supports
it too but in actual fact, although tc accepts the 'action connmark' action
in a tc filter command, it fails to talk correctly to the kernel.

Rooting around in github, it looks like the patch applied to tc, supposedly
to support connmark, in fact does nothing and it also screws up the command
sent on the netlink socket so the kernel rejects it.

In trying to resolve this, I downloaded the leaf-bering dev environment from
github - all several gigabytes! However the instructions in the README bear
little relation to the actual config required, and I never did work out how
to build the environment successfully.

I solved it by using buildroot-2015.11 to build tc updated to version 4.4.0,
against uclibc-0.9.33.2 and this works properly on my installation.

Can I suggest you take the m_connmark.c file from tc in the iproute2 version
4.4.0 package. This will correctly parse the connmark action in tc filter
commands & generate the necessary commands on the netlink socket.

regards,

John Sager