I had a chance to take a quick look at this version.

1.  VMXNET3 works on ESXi 5.5, but the adapter type has to be VMXNET3
and not Flexible.  Whether or not VMXNET3 is an option depends on the
machine type you specify when creating the VM.  RH Linux 6 (32 bit) for
example will offer VMXNET3.  Other Linux (32 bit) does not.  I
transferred about a gigabyte through this adapter in both directions to
test and observed no errors.

2.  Putty gives "Couldn't agree a key exchange algorithm" and Dropbear
logs "no matching algo kex" on my system.  I installed this version by
basically replacing all the files in /dev/sda1 from an existing
unconfigured system (5.1.3 based) except for leaf.cfg and configdb.lrp.
  I doubt this problem is related to the way I upgraded but I don't know
that for sure.  I regenerated the dropbear keys and the problem persists.

I will continue testing.  Thank you!

- Bob Coffman