Hello Bob,

I reply to an older message, but I also read your latest mail and did
not find an obvious error in the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

Zitat von Bob von Knobloch <b...@vknobloch.de>:

> If I issue (by hand) "ip addr add x.y.z.q/24 dev eth0", then the address
> appears, bound to eth0.

> It seems only that the boot-time script is failing to add it.

Just another thought:
Instead of "ip addr add..." try to configure eth0 with ifup and check
if an IP address gets assigned.

# All commands untested.
# I don't know if it's necessary to get the interface down before
trying to configure it.
ifup eth0; ip addr                          # Don't know if this is
sufficient.
ifdown eth0; ifup eth0; ip addr             # Maybe bring the
interface down first.
ip link set eth0 down; ifup eth0; ip addr   # Or maybe this.

If this is successful try

ifdown -a; ip addr; ifup -a; ip addr   # This may terminate an SSH connection.

I expect to find out if "ifup -a" can configure eth0 when called after
the init scripts.

Bodo