On 03 Nov 10, at 0924, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ian Batten said:
>> I seem to recall that there's some debate as to the leap-year status of
>> 4000CE
>
> Not in either the UK:
>
> | Be it further enacted by the Authority aforesaid,

I didn't mean in legislative terms, I meant in "keeping the equinoxes where
they are in the calendar terms" terms.  Wikipedia (yeah, I know) says:

> The marginal difference of 0.000125 days between the Gregorian calendar
> average year and the actual year means that, in around 8,000 years, the
> calendar will be about one day behind where it is now. But in 8,000 years,
> the length of the vernal equinox year will have changed by an amount that
> cannot be accurately predicted (see below). Therefore, the current Gregorian
> calendar suffices for practical purposes, and the correction suggested by
> John Herschel of making 4000 a non-leap year will probably not be necessary.

While this:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1511/why-do-we-have-leap-years

mutters about 4000 _not_ being a leap year, although as you say there's no
legislation covering it.  I doubt that many parliaments could find time to
worry about events 1990 years hence!

ian