On 2010-12-28 12:56, Richard B. Langley wrote:

 I have been asked to remind list members of the presentation by Ron
 Beard, the chairman of ITU-R Working Party 7A, at ION GNSS 2010. The
 PowerPoint slides can be downloaded from here:

<http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/cgsicMeetings/50/%5B16%5DITU_Status_UTC_Revision_CGSIC_50th.pdf>.

 Here are the conclusions, summary, and actions from the presentation:

   Thanks. What surprises me in that summary is not what it says
   but what it does not mention. Two examples:

   [a] While the summary mentions the "questions" circulated by the
       Working Group, it does not state which changes really are
       intended -- those of the US proposal at
             [http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/cgsicMeetings
               /50/%5B16%5DITU_Status_UTC_Revision_CGSIC_50th.pdf],
       I assume.

   [b] This proposal does not only change technicalities like
       the maximal difference |UTC - UT|, but it changes several
       other things (more important things, in my opinion). For
       instance, it removes the
             immediate availability of UT
       from the goals of UTC dissemination. Was anybody asked
       about this? Do most of the experts agree?

   The US proposal contains provisions that only take effect
   in several hundreds of years. In view of the current revision
   cycle of ITU recommendations, this is absurd. I take this as
   an indication that the US proposal has not even been subject to
   a formal review by the ITU working group.

   Michael Deckers.