On Jan 7, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On 01/07/2011 07:55, Rob Seaman wrote:
>> Eliminating leap seconds is an attempt to change the period of the day.  But
>> the Sun says otherwise.
>
> No.  Eliminating leap seconds keeps the period of the day constant.

I didn't say the period of the day was constant.  The synodic day is an
interesting function of time.  This strengthens rather than weakens the
argument that civil timekeeping must adhere (in some fashion that is open for
discussion) to this requirement.

The ITU wants to pretend that length of day is constant.  It varies.  They are
not arguing with the likes of me.  They are arguing with physical reality.

Rob