In message <4f19885c.3090...@sfr.fr>, mike cook writes:

>> Modern CPUs clock around 4GHz, multiplying by 1000 for resulution we
>> find that we need 42 bits after the binary point.
>
>Solaris already has 64 bit quantities for time operations. From their doc:
>
>"time_t, and its derivative types struct timeval and timespec_t now =
>
>contain 64-bit quantities"
>
>Aren't you reinventing the wheel? Its open source, so just borrow it.

No, time_t is entirely in front of the binary point:  It counts seconds.

We need something which will also do the fractions of seconds and without
braindamage of the "struct timeval" type.

>> Our new timecale should run on the TAI timescale which does not
>> have leap-seconds or any other artifacts, and library functions can
>> convert that to UTC time, civil time etc, using a leap-second table
>> which can be updated as and when leap-seconds gets announced.
>
>Fine, but if TAI is going to be adopted anytime as the standard of time =
>dissemination, nobody is going to be announcing leap seconds, UNLESS, =
>parallel time scales spring up.

PTP already uses TAI

TAI can be derived from UTC, GPS and other broadcast timescales, so
availability is fine.

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956