Tony Finch wrote:

> if the people in a country or region don't like the alignment between their
> clocks and the sun, they can use their political processes to change their
> timezone offset and/or DST rules.

But Jacob Rees-Mogg's suggestion that:

> "Somerset should have its own time zone, with its clocks running up to 15
> minutes behind the rest of the UK."

Was met here with reactions ranging from gentle bemusement to outright
sarcastic rejection.  Meanwhile, Ian Batten replied to a rhetorical gedanken:

> I see no particular reason why a zonetime shift every year would be be an
> insurmountable problem.  They'd all be in the same direction, so all you need
> is to drop one of the DST changeover dates

(Note that only 10-15% of the world observes DST.)  Ian continued:

> Introduced at no notice there might be some fun and games, but I don't see
> anything that wouldn't sort itself out after a day.

This echoes Ben Franklin's satirical essay
(http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html):

> All the difficulty will be in the first two or three days; after which the
> reformation will be as natural and easy as the present irregularity; for, ce
> n'est que le premier pas qui coûte.  [it is only the first step that costs]

(Correction of the translation welcome.)

But Michael Deckers notes a problem:

> Nobody would use the Gregorian calendar if the IERS determined the leap years
> only a year in advance.

I submit that replacing our common worldwide civil timekeeping infrastructure
with a hodgepodge of local governance through willy-nilly timezone roulette
would be 1) a bad idea, and 2) never enacted, and is 3) not mentioned in the
work products of ITU-R Study Group 7.

Rob