Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Stephen Scott wrote:

> > The basis of my understanding is that UTC is a timescale that:
> > -    progresses at a rate of the second (SI) and has done so since
> > 1972-01-01.
> > -    is expressed as a count in the form of date, hours, minutes and
> > seconds;
> > -    is continuous other than the discontinuities resulting from leap
> > second corrections;
>
> To pick a pedantic nit: It is continuous. No "other than". UTC is a
> continuous time scale. It has a non-uniform radix that is expressed at
> the leap seconds when its rules for labeling seconds changes slightly to
> label the leap second 23:59:60. The timescale has a discontinuity when
> there's a phase jump. UTC does not have phase jumps, even if it chooses
> a non-traditional time to label some of its seconds once every year and
> a half or two.

I think it is reasonable to say that UTC's labelling of seconds is
discontinuous. For timescales that use simple ancient sexagesimal notation
you can write down some straightforward formulae mapping between a count
of seconds and a broken down time. If you try to do the same for UTC you
have to write down something that is piecewise linear with exceptions. It
isn't a continuous map like other timescales.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.