In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: At least the Oncore receives will happily use a 2 year old alamanc
: to aid in getting first fix.

I've seen some receivers that don't do this, and consequently have
trouble getting first fix.  These may be the Oncore VP that we stopped
deploying years ago, but are in our leap second testing matrix because
important customers still have them deployed.  I can watch our status
screen as they happily cycle through different sets of satellites a
couple a minute until they get one good one...  Of course the VPs we
used loose all knowledge when power goes away...

: But they will not use anything but the current almanac to report
: leap seconds.

I think that it depends on the model of oncore receiver. The M12+
appears to cache the almanac wrt leap seconds for a period of time
after power is removed from them (I'm sure it does this if the power
is off for minutes, I'm sure it doesn't if it is off all weekend, but
don't know where the cutoff point is).  Other GPS recievers, from
other manufacturers, that we've tested will report the alamanac data
even after being off all weekend.  The older VP will not cache the
almanac data at all beyond the charge in the capacitors in the power
supply when power is removed.

Warner