On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 12:59 PM, John Wiegley <jo...@newartisans.com>
wrote:

> PM> The manual shows us how unclear the semantics are. Most people seem to
> use
> PM> auxiliary dates as a date when a cheque is *cleared*. But the manual
> also
> PM> shows them being used when a cheque is *paid*:
>
> It should be noted here that one of the "features" of Ledger is that it
> leaves
> as much of the semantics of your accounting as possible up to you.  This
> is a
> reason why beancount was created: To choose the best notion of what things
> mean in a financial setting, and then to impose those semantics to help you
> avoid errors.
>
> C++Ledger, however, is just a glorified calculator. It doesn't tell you
> what
> your inputs or your outputs should mean.

So - -- from your perspective you don't see a value in having something
defined
that would help with the date paid, date cleared, date issued (more for
invoicing)
as a specific 'data type' available for use?

As a small business owner that really doesn't want to buy the rights to the
use
(sort of) of some Win program that isn't really that responsive (to my
needs at
least) I would like to see something that would enable me to run some kind
of a
report. This report would then be able to tell me which invoices to be paid
or those
due me that are outstanding (possibly with a way to make aging easy).

I understand that you see C++Ledger as a 'simple' tool - - - I think it is
a tool
that appears simple but has the framework to do even more. (To use the
analogy
of a calculator it looks like perhaps just a 4 function machine and then
when you
dig a little deeper you see the scientific functions and then deeper yet
you find
the statistical functions and the vector/polar calculations and and and.
This is
how I see ledger - - - its a tool with little showing on the surface but
there is a
vast world below!)

Dee