> 1. This seems to make it no easier to detect and correct errors than a
> tick mark on your bank statement. To add the final lines you still have to
> go through the statement line by line.
>

> 2. There still seems to be no record tieing your entry to the line item on
> your bank statement. Had you added a comment containing the exact details
> from your statement then you could match. This could also be accomplished
> by just numbering the entries on your bank statement and then adding a
> cleared line number comment.
>
> 3. Agreed as solved if a suitable parser is written.

I haven’t tested this, but I believe Ledger offers a simpler way to do it
with the Payee tag. Payee is a special metadata tag which allows you to
modify the payee field for individual posts within a transaction. So if
this is my bank statement:

*Date            Transaction Type      Description          Money out
 Money in  Balance*
...             ...                   ...                        ...
...      ...
27th May 2017   Contactless Payment   MCDONALDS WIEN DE        £0.99
     £173.48

Here’s what I would put in my ledger file:

05/25 McDonald’s
  expenses:food and drink:fast food  £ -0.99
  assets:current account:uncleared   £  0.99
  ;
  assets:current account:uncleared  £ -0.99  ; [05/27]  Payee: MCDONALDS
WIEN DE
  assets:current account:cleared    £  0.99  ; [05/27]  Payee: MCDONALDS
WIEN DE

All four posts are now linked by being part of the same transaction,
without any need for transaction codes.

By the way, I’m uncomfortable with the way you used an :XYZ subaccount. Is
it not possible to do the same thing with tags?