On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 1:31:41 PM UTC-4, Charles Lindsay wrote:

> Basically I want to insert a virtual transaction of a different commodity
> price based on the price of the commodity in the pricedb.
>
> I need help converting the currency in the virtual posting.
> Given the following ledger:

> P 2020/06/29 BTC 7497.15 GBP
>
>  = expr 'account =~ /Accounts:Client/'
>
>   (Btc:Stock)  -(??? Need Help Here??? BTC)
>
> 2020-06-30  *  (4284af3d-dc3d-4b83-a3c0-f87f013f06f3) 03378c0c
>
>   ; :Credit:Payments:
>
>   Accounts:Client:9cc2fdda06e04c29a40071  35.00 GBP
>
>   Accounts:External:bfc20917a2bd4ca18fb259

> I want the rules to save the 35.00 GBP in BTC as calculated from the
> pricesdb, i.e. -(35.00 GBP / 7497.15 GBP) or -0.004668440674122833 BTC
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Maybe take a look at `lotter` (https://src.d10.dev/lotter).  While it does
not do exactly what you're asking for, it does something close.  Maybe you
could modify it to suit your needs.

Lotter supports a "base" operation, which observes price data, and will
convert values from other currencies into the base currency.  But it does
this only when a cost is expressed in a non-base currency, and a price
converting that currency to the base is known on the same day.

In your example, the transaction involves only GBP, and there's nothing
about it that hints BTC is involved in any way.  For this reason, I think
you'll have to modify your ledger file in some way to get accounting for
the BTC.  You might need to explicity add a split with an amount like
"35.00 GBP @@ 0.00466844 BTC".