On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 4:35 PM Marcin Borkowski <mb...@mbork.pl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been using Ledger for more than 5 years now (GnuCash earlier), and
> I'm pretty happy with it.  However, I have now a challenge.  Instead of
> a regular salary, I get payments for invoices, which are not equal each
> month.  This is inconvenient from a private budget perspective.  I've
> set up a separate business account at my bank and I plan to set up
> a constant monthly transfer from that account to my private one, maybe
> even called "salary".  (Of course, I will ensure that my average monthly
> business income is greater than the "salary".)
>
> I would like to separate these two areas in Ledger, too.  Ideally, I'd
> like to be able to see a "private" report, a "business" report or
> a "total" report.
>
> Any hints?

Hmmmm - - - - the official solution (government taxation people) is that
personal and business absolutely cannot coexist. So you are told to use
separate credit cards bank accounts and never the two shall meet. Except
they meet all the time! When you go to the office supply shop and you
are picking up school supplies for the kids and you remember that need
item xx or xy or ab for the office or the business - - - - do you make
a separate
trip through the checkout for that? I don't.
At least here in Canuckistan there is provision for business use of home
expenses and also much less used but also the home use of business
expenses.
So how do I get things done - - - - its called accurate records. When I
purchase items that are business expenses and there are also home use
items - - - - well everything is logged. In the Canuckistani version of the
GIFI codes #9350 is 'Personal Expenses'. Now that listing of GIFI codes
was an 8 page document when I started with it - - - - but its now well
over 40 pages including quite a few different accounts in the '9350'
section.
I have not been audited so I don't know how much hurt might result
but knowing that many large companies fiddle all kinds of stuff in
their books means that if I'm challenged my response would be
something like. I have very detailed accurate records - - - (means
I really don't do any fudging or hiding!!!!) if they want to challenge
them I'm going to have fun mocking the crap out of their ineptitude.
(Might cost me lawyer money but there is mountains of evidence
for that so I'm not worried about any problems.)

In short - - - IMO very detailed accurate records and detailed
documentation (keeping ALL your receipts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
means that you should have no problems.

As to a private vs a business report - - - - I just use my account
numbers. I can pull a report for a time frame of my choosing at
any time on any account or group of accounts - - - so the
distinction has really disappeared.

HTH