Dear all,
I have been playing around with commodities because I frequently spend
money in different currencies and I then settle it with an internal
currency exchange within my own accounts.

I would like to understand if the following 2 samples are exactly
equivalent or, otherwise, what distinguishes them.

Sample #1

2021/05/20=2021/05/22 * Starbucks
    Expenses:Food             100.00 USD {=0.8 GBP}
    Assets:Paypal                -90.00 EUR

2021/05/31 * Currency Exchange
    ; Starbucks payment settlement
    Assets:Paypal                 90.00 EUR
    Assets:Paypal                -80.00 GBP

Sample #2

2021/05/20=2021/05/22 * Starbucks
    Expenses:Food             100.00 USD @@ 80.00 GBP
    Assets:Paypal                -90.00 EUR
    Assets:Paypal                 90.00 EUR ; [=2021/05/31]
    Assets:Paypal                -80.00 GBP

What I am trying to record here is the following:
On May 21 I use my paypal card to pay a bill of 100 USD at Starbucks.
My paypal's default account is EUR, therefore it debits 90 EUR from my
wallet (automatic conversion).
My income is in GBP so I rather settle my expenses in that same currency,
therefore I do a currency conversion within my Paypall app, buying 90 EUR
with 80 GBP. Because this is a manual process, sometimes it happens only a
few days later (on May 31 in this example).

Would you agree with my way of recording these transaction or would you do
it differently?

Many thanks, POliveira