I agree with just about everything Mark has said here, things are not
   as doom and gloom as some are making out.
   One point I will emphasise is Nunez. He is a natural goal scorer the
   like of which we haven't seen in a long time. IMHO he should be
   starting up front alongside Keogh. McCormack is a decent footballer but
   he is the type who needs lots of chances to score a goal and when you
   have someone else like Nunez who will score goals it's a no brainer for
   me. Nunez is not a winger, despite being chucked out on the wing when
   he has played, he needs to be up front.
   I'm sad to see mad Max leave aswell but he's not a left sided
   midfielder, despite doing a decent job in that position, and I believe
   Nunez will prove to be a better striker. Getting a good fee for a
   player who could go for nothing in less than a year and who wanted to
   go is good business. We do need a quality natural left sided player now
   and I would like to see Sanchez Watt come back on loan.
   [1]markbu...@aol.com wrote:

Well I’m completely underwhelmed by the transfer activity of today  and

the last few days.  Then to cap it all we lose last season’s player of  the
year and main goal-scorer, on the final day of the window with no chance of
signing a replacement.<<

We can bring in replacements, we can use the loan system. Or sign
out-of-contract players - often it's better business for all concerned to cancel

contracts outside the window, allowing players to sign as free agents, eg
James  Beattie, released by Rangers as the window closed.

I think up to now we’ve been bloody lucky that Clayton,  Nunez, Lees and

McCormack have all really out-performed expectations, but I  really can’t
see how we can replace Max easily. <<

Luck or judgement? Perhaps Grayson was always planning for those players to
 come good this season, and that's why they were sent out on loan to give
them  match practise.

Sorry Rich I can’t see White stepping up to be the  replacement, and

Lloyd Sam is a fair player but not the threat that Gradel would  be.<<

White is still inexperienced as a defender, but he's got bags of pace,
plenty of energy and he can cross the ball. He'd be a good winger, and he's
less  likely to make costly mistakes. Sam is a decent championship player.
Nunez has  goals in him and is a real threat.

I’ve also got to say that Grayson has spent a lot of time  stressing how

important it is that we kept hold of Gradel, just look at the old  news
items on the officious site.  So how can he spin it out to be a  positive now he
’
s gone?<<

That's just part of the game. Of course we have to make a big deal about
not wanting to sell. It puts the onus back on the buying club to make a
bigger offer, and on the player to make a decision. Hence Gradel being told  to
put in a transfer request if he wanted a move. So no "loyalty bonus" for the
 player and his agent. I'm pissed off he's gone too, but you can't force
someone  to stay - and it looks like we got the best deal we could. The
alternative was a  Bosman next season. At least he can't score a hat-trick again
st
us now.

I don’t necessarily agree with all signings Leicester have  made, but if

there is one team with the clout to make those sort of signings in  this
division, it should be Leeds.<<

Why? We're far from the richest club in the division. Bates' fortune is
distinctly Conference class compared to the sugardaddy millions backing
Leicester, Ipswich, West Ham etc.

Signings in this division aren't about transfer fees - they're about
players' wages. Leicester have signed Beckford - but on five times the salary we

were paying him.  We're not doing that - rightly IMO. I don't want
Ridsdalenomics again.

 The lack of activity today must mean that Grayson is happy  with the

squad he’s got because he is making no effort at all to improve  it.  <<

How do you know? I know we had a deal for Lichaj until he got injured a
week ago - out for four months. And as I said, there are still deals that can
be  made outside the window.

 I know it is mainly a PR exercise to be involved in the  transfer

speculation, but it does show the fans that you are trying to make that  big
signing.<<

If you know its's spin, why do you give a shit about it? Getting a unit
that works and gets us promoted may not require "that big signing". It worked
for Swansea and Norwich, and for Blackpool the year before.

Grayson will be judged on how much progress is made this  season and

whilst I admire his loyalty to Bates, he has to stand up for himself  at some
point and say that he s being hamstrung by the owners for funds to  improve
the team.<<

Again, how do you know it's not Grayson who's refusing to sign players
because they're not right? In two seasons Grayson has achieved a hell of a
lot. Shouldn't you have a bit more faith in his judgement?

We can forget about promotion or even the play-offs now. 4  points from 5

games is relegation form, and the squad is beginning to look like  a
relegation squad too.  10 points from the next 5 games  are needed  to get a
foothold or the season is over before the end of  September<<

Rubbish. As we've seen every year, a team comes from nowhere and makes the
playoffs. Reading had a dreadful start to last season, and were still
bottom  half at Xmas. Yet they finished in the playoffs and almost went up
automatically. Blackpool scraped the playoffs on the last day. A few years back,

Palace got promoted from a relegation position on Jan 1.

THERE ARE 41 GAMES TO GO. FORTY-ONE!!

We've not played badly either. We're a defender or two light, but we've got
 a class midfield (even without Max) and we're not short of goals. Had
White not  been (unfairly) sent off we would probably have beaten Ipswich - and
we'd be  ninth in the table. I doubt there would be so much moaning then,
would  there.