> No, sorry, but the only FACT with Johnson & Kilkenny, is that due to them
> being free agents at the end of the season, they were able to get much better
> deals elsewhere due to lack of transfer fee.

Well, there's that. But let's take an educated guess at the financial
situation/s.

Firstly, what would a reasonable chairman base their budgets on? I
would say matchday revenue and guaranteed TV money. Plus merchandise,
I suppose. But prize money, cup runs - you wouldn't base your budget
on those, because if they didn't happen you'd be screwed. Imagine
budgeting for Champions League football and then not getting it...

So, Everton - to whom we lost Jermaine Beckford on a free transfer -
will pick up £30m in TV rights plus a minimum £20m per season in
ticket sales (based on their average attendance of 33,407 so far this
season, at the lowest possible adult ticket price of £31)

Norwich City - to whom we lost Bradley Johnson and to whom we look
like losing Jonny Howson - will similarly receive £30m in TV rights,
and at least £15m in ticket sales (average attendance 26,516, cheapest
ticket £30).

Bristol City - who took Neil Kilkenny from us - will get £2.6m in TV
money, and can expect no less than £6m in tickets sales over the
season (13,232 x £25).

Leeds United, like Bristol, will get £2.6m from the Football League
for the collective TV deal. But with an average attendance of 23,733,
at a cheapest possible ticket price of £20, would be budgeting on
taking over £9m in ticket sales.

So the financial reality is, we can't expect to compete with Premier
League teams when we allow our players' contracts to run down. On the
other hand, we are a club that has been in trouble before with players
earning a lot of money when revenue goes down; signing up any of the
above of Premier League-level contracts would be brilliant if we knew
we were going up, but if we failed to do so and were lumbered with the
costs anyway, well, we'd be returning those goldfish to the rental
store.

What I don't accept is that we couldn't offer Kilkenny at least as
good a deal as Bristol were willing to offer him. Surely Beckford was
our top earner - and he'd left the previous season. Yes, there's the
signing on fee that would be a nice little payday for him and his
agent, but if we can't match that then surely we're only going to have
to pay it for a replacement (if not an actual fee), but with added
disruption to the squad?

I mean, I don't know. We'd all hate for Leeds to start overspending
again. But it irks me that Norwich are now a bigger club than Leeds.
And surely there's enough money in the club to say to Howson, "You're
the club captain, a fan of the club, we'll match whatever offer anyone
makes"? And why wasn't this done when he was made captain last season?

Still, at least we've got Becchio tied to the club for the next couple
of years...

Ed.