"Dear Supporter, who gives a flying fuck what you think?"

The good old days, eh?

Jason Nisse Thompson's contacts include
Chris Akers and Andrew Regan. He also owns Windsor racecourse and is
backing Elizabeth Emanuel

In June, Richard Thompson was honoured for his contribution to
business. Along with luminaries such as John Ritblat, founder of British
 Land, Mike Gooley of Trailfinders and Simon Woodruffe, the brains
behind YO! Sushi, Thompson won an award from accountants Ernst &
Young and The Times newspaper as one of London's Entrepreneurs of the
Year.
It was an irony that the 35-year-old businessman - whose interests
stretch from meat packing to designer frocks via television and football
 - should get the award this year. After all, in the last 12 months, his
 business interests have lost at least pounds 30m. In addition, one
former associate has been convicted of fraud and another has had a
warrant issued for his arrest.
Later this month former associate Allan Leonard is due to appear at
the Old Bailey in London for sentencing after admitting to 15 charges of
 fraud, forgery and false accounting. The 49-year-old grain trader and
former racehorse owner was a close family friend of Thompson, having
worked for his father, David, since 1987. Muirpace, the company that
Leonard ran, was a subsidiary of Thompson family businesses. Its losses
from Leonard's gambles on the derivatives market are estimated at pounds
 28.5m.
Speaking publicly for the first time since Leonard's conviction,
Richard Thompson told The Independent on Sunday that the Muirpace
scandal was disappointing, but not a tragedy. "It does not make a big
difference to the overall picture," he said. "We've drawn a line under
the losses. If you look over the years we've made more money out of
Allan Leonard than we lost."
While Allan Leonard's problems have had a direct bearing on the
Thompson family businesses, Richard Thompson says he is no longer
associated with another colourful business character - Andrew Regan.
Regan, who shot to fame in his attempt at taking over the Co-op
Wholesale Society a couple of years ago, is presently in Monaco. If he
returns to the UK, the Serious Fraud Office has said it would arrest him
 on charges of stealing pounds 2.4m from a public company, the food
manufacturer Hobson, that he used to run. And who introduced Regan to
Hobson? None other than Richard Thompson.
"I was involved with Hobson for seven years, from 1986 to 1993," says
 Thompson (Regan arrived in 1991). "I stayed for two years after he took
 control and then left." There is no suggestion that Thompson knew
anything of the alleged bribing of Co-op officials which form the core
of the Serious Fraud Office case against Regan and three others involved
 in the Hobson scandal.
Thompson happily admits he had been associated with quite a few
colourful characters in a business career of little more than a decade.
The story starts with Richard's father, David, a Smithfield meat trader
who joined Harry Solomon to form a company called Hillsdown.
The business was a fantastic success, building up a portfolio of food
 brands stretching from Typhoo tea to Buxted chickens, and interests in
timber, property development and insurance. David Thompson sold out of
Hillsdown a little before the stock market crash in 1987, pocketing
around pounds 180m.
David Thompson then set about investing his fortune. Part was used to
 back Allan Leonard's Muirpace, while another part was used to build up
the Cheveley Park Stud, one of the most successful racehorse breeding
operations in the UK. Cheveley's successes have included the Grand
National winner, Party Politics, and the Royal Ascot favourite,
Exclusive.
A couple of years ago David and Patricia Thompson joined the parade
with the Queen at Royal Ascot. Leonard was also a keen investor in
bloodstock. Among his horses was Top Cees, a highly successful racer on
both flat and national hunt courses that he sold to a partnership of
Robert Sangster and Michael Charlton, the Monaco-based investor who was a
 business partner of Andrew Regan.
The third way David Thompson invested his money was to set his son up
 in business. The first deal he backed was to purchase Queens Park
Rangers, the football club. Richard became chairman, as well as the
target of protests by fans during a five-year reign. "They gave me a
hard time," he says. "There is no way I would ever be the chairman of a
football club again."
The Thompsons sold their share of QPR in 1996 for pounds 10m, passing
 on the problem to Chris Wright, the founder of Chrysalis, who promptly
led the club into relegation. Though the investment did not make a huge
amount of money, it whetted Richard Thompson's appetite for the business
 of football, and he backed a bid by a team led by former stockbroker
Chris Akers to take over Leeds United.
The vehicle for the deal was a small firm called Storm Group. It had
been involved in making cartoon programmes for TV and owned the
broadcast rights to Paddington Bear. The bid for Leeds was accepted even
 though it was not the highest offer on the table. There were rival bids
 from a Norwegian group and Conrad, a company backed by Michael Edelson,
 who recently shot to fame as the brains behind the high-flying
Knutsford Group.
Though Thompson joined the board of Caspian, as the company was then
renamed, he was not particularly involved in the management of Leeds
United. However, he did secure the services of George Graham, the former
 Arsenal boss, as United's manager. The two both had flats in the same
development in Hampstead, north London, though Thompson said he knew
Graham from his time at QPR.
Early optimism about Leeds United soon dissipated as Chris Akers
failed to deliver on some grandiose promises. A year ago Thompson joined
 with Jim Driscoll, a long-time investor in Storm Group, to oust Akers
and install Peter Ridsdale as chairman. Shortly thereafter Thompson left
 the board of the group, now called Leeds Sporting.
While Thompson says he made money out of his involvement in Leeds,
other recent investments have not been so successful. His main public
company interest now is the chairmanship of WhiteCliff Film &
Television. This was originally a food processing company called
Whitchurch. Thompson became involved when he sold it RG Quality Foods, a
 burger-making business. RG was hit by the BSE crisis, fell into losses
and was then bought back by Thompson as part of the deal which turned
Whitchurch into WhiteCliff.
Some investors have voiced concerns about the deal with Thompson, RG
and WhiteCliff, arguing the Thompson ended up being paid pounds 2.4m for
 the film business, some of which had hardly been trading and others
which were heavily loss-making. Thompson says that no major investors
had complained or lost money, though WhiteCliff shares have slumped from
 a high of 65p to just 30p. "Nobody is interested in the meat business
today," he says. "We now have prospects. We want to be as big as
possible."
Apart from WhiteCliff, Thompson is still looking for deals. He and
his father are currently trying to sell Windsor Racecourse, and are in
talks with Arena Leisure about a deal. PGA European Tour Courses, the
golf course owner which Thompson founded with Mark McCormack of IMG, is
looking for a buyer after a dramatic fall in value. Thompson recently
turned down the chance to take a stake in West Bromwich Albion, the
first division football club now run by Jim Driscoll. But he has agreed
to back Elizabeth Emanuel, the dress designer best known for Princess
Diana's wedding gown, who is trying to re-establish herself in business
after a bruising experience with Joe Bloggs founder Shami Ahmed.
Thompson describes himself as a corporate catalyst: "I have no
particular expertise, except the feeling for a deal and the knowledge of
 the stock market. I have no other particular skills."
Except for one. His family's money. Chris Akers, when asked if he had
 enough money to buy Leeds, famously answered: "I don't. But I'm in
business with the Thompsons, And they're as rich as God."