>Clive Tyldesley made a wise observation about modern football this week.
>And it was nothing to do with that night in Istanbul. Chairing a debate
>on 20 years of the Premier League organised by the universities of
>Brighton and Coventry, the ITV commentator summed things up by asking
>his audience of students and academics whether anyone actually enjoyed
>the game anymore. Sure, he agreed, so much has improved beyond
>recognition under the Premier League's stewardship. Stadiums, pitches,
>coaching, training, fitness, preparation, the standard of play itself is
>almost unrecognisably better than 20 years ago. There is much to admire,
>certainly. But pleasure? Fun? Love?

hang on a rose coloured glass moment,  was this the good old days when
thousands of young men went to football purely with the intention of a ruck,
quite happy to batter an innocent bystander just cos they might belong to a
different tribe?

While I agree that the modern self appointed knowitall gobshite fan expert
(no names no pack drill)  is a bore, its infinitely preferable to the
Casuals of yesteryear.

Sure football is different nowadays, so is society, but rather than ask a
load of old moaning gits about it, ask kids whether they still love the game
and look forward to games and I doubt they think much differently that we
did.

ttfn

Richard