Okay, this list is really on it's last legs it seems. I know it's a Leeds list
and we're far away from the England International scene but England have jsut
played a quarter final against Italy and lost on pens and not ONE post about
it??????? Okay, well now there's one.
1. Apart from the first 10 minutes England were rubbish and if Italy hadn't
left their shooting boots at home England would have and should have lost this
game 4-0 at least.2. Italy decided Gerrard was the playmaker and so put at
least two players on him at all times and played him right out of the game.
England just let Pirlo rule the midfield, they backed off and backed off and
let him walk the ball up into England's final third. Shocking.3. Positives.
England tried hard and put a lot of energy in.4. Passing. Unbelievable how bad
England's passing was all night, simple 5 yard balls were overhit, bad passing
choices were made with passes going to marked teammates, and in addition long
hopeful punts upfield were gobbled up by the Italian defence. Also, England
simply didn't try and use the width of the park, even when Walcott came on they
rarely tried to push down the wings.5. Woeful and should be dropped. Wayne
Rooney, Ashley Young, Steven Gerrard, and Danny Welbeck. Utter u
 tter anonymity from those four.6. Deserve a grudging nod of respect. Joleon
Lescott - Made a number of vital last ditch blocks. Milner - He tried and tried
and tried although nothing came off. Glen Johnson - Again seemed to make a
number of important blocks, and tried pushing forward. He got the ball caught
under his feet for his goal attempt but nearly scored, actually a great save
from Buffon. Ashley Cole - Defended well, tried to get forward, had the balls
to stand up there and take that all important penalty at least even though he
completely bottled it.7. Hodgson - Did the best job he could with a bunch of
average players, tried to do a Greece 2004 and wasn't far off, those kind of
tactics only work once in 20 odd years.8. The future - Well this tournament has
yet again highlighted how technically and football "brainwise" England are
years behind the four semi finalists. Pirlo tonight controlled that game, we
simply haven't had a playmaker in years, since, well I don't
 know, since Hoddle or Gascoigne or David Platt for F*cks sake. Lampard and
Gerrard are pretenders at international level. Problem tonight was Gerrard
thought he was Pirlo and tried to play his game and simply got tackled every
time he got the ball.9. For me Germany are the best team, Spain can bore me to
death at times with their patient buildups. Germany are great at defending and
reading the game and cutting out passes and turning defence into attack. They
are exciting to watch and I'm actually glad we lost here and weren't subject to
humiliation under the hands of Zee Germans, they would have embarrassed more
than the last drubbing at the world cup.10. I'm now 47 years old and I'm at the
point that I don't really give a toss anymore, 10 years ago I would have been
down the pub for this and would have been gutted at the penalty loss and would
have got blathered and then moped for days. Today I went to a friend's house,
had some lovely barbecued flank steak, and fresh veg,
 went for a swim and then watched the game from the comfort of his couch. When
we went out I simply didn't care, I'm done with footy at that level, means
nothing anymore.
Goodnight
Jeremy