I think game is the most important opening day fixture we have had for a long
time#
Wilko promotion year proved that you can have an awful first day and still. go
up but that year there was massive optimism and buzz around the place
This season the loss of yet another star (snodgrass) the Bates factor and the
tedium of the take over will. suppress the atmosphere and 'feel.good factor'
that a new season brings

A good win will. please those who are there and give them hope and will. make
those watching on TV wish they were there and get them out for the next game It
will. also help all. the new boys to settle in and enjoy being at ER

A bad display and or result will. lead to even more pessimism and general. poor
atmosphere around the place and could even lead to players being scapegoated
from the start