 From: Richard Walker <richleed...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: Leeds List <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Sent: Thursday, 20 December 2012, 10:07
Subject: [LU] Chelsea

Two ways of looking at this match / result. First, it was a stuffing and a
humiliation.
Second, we matched them for half the game and played some good footy.

I’ll go with the second opinion and when Chelsea bring on a 30
million pound player as a sub you realise that we’re talking about a
different world. I thought we fought hard, we made them make mistakes and more
importantly when we had the ball we used it pretty well. Some of our midfield
play was good and the movement from Thomas, Diouf and Green was impressive. At
the back I thought both central defenders did well.

I’m not going to go through the full game , you all
watched it.

Here’s my scores (I’m only including up to their
2nd goal because after that it was game over and our heads went
down).

Ashdown – 8. Ok, their equaliser was a mistake but he’d
made half a dozen top class saves prior to that and continued to make saves
after. I like the look of him.

Peltier – 5. Massively uncomfortable on the left. I
don’t think he’s happy and he’s our captain. Need to sort
something out here.

Byram – 7. I thought he did well, but again I would
have loved to see him more involved and getting forward from midfield.

Pearce – 8. I thought he really defended well.

Lees – 8. Again I thought he was strong. I’m
liking the look of this lad, I think he’s come on in the last few months.

Brown – 7. He was given the job of being an annoying
little bugga. I was watching him closely and he was mouthing off, niggling,
elbowing, fouling. It worked for 45 mins.

Tonge – 8. I thought he played really well and stepped
up his from his usual contribution. Very creative.

Thomas – 8. I thought he really gave them the
runaround. His cross for the goal was spectacular.

Green – 8. Lively throughout, not much end product but
really put a shift in.

Diouf – 7. Was lively and really tried to make things
happen, I just think he needs some pace around him.

Becchio – 6. Thought he took his goal like a proper
striker and I agree it wasn’t that easy although unmarked 6 yards out you
would expect. I thought he worked hard, got stuck in and unsettled them at
times. Having said that I think it’s low expectations again, he was too
slow, he creates nothing, he needs it handing on a plate, he makes controlling
a simple ball a real effort and he has not pace – Tonge played a lovely
ball through to him and he just didn’t have the legs to get on it, then a
simple one two was asked of him and he just prodded it to a Chelsea player –
groans all round. Every goal is delaying the inevitable. Just not good enough.

Somma was on the bench.

Chelseafans –
I thought they were funny (for once) – after Leeds
fans had sung “You’re just a fat Spanish waitor” they
repeated it. They also sang “Are you Saville in disguise ?” to Neil
Warnock. And then sang a 10 minute song about paedos at Elland Road and went
through the list “Michael
Jackson, Arsene Wenger, Jimmy Saville … “

The Kop sang “4-1 and you still don’t sing”
– believe me they were louder than the Kop from the East Stand.

For me it lacked the atmosphere of an old Chelsea match – I had a Chinese couple
in front of me who just took photies for the full 90 mins. Times are changing
and not for the better IMO.