Rick,

The Doctor is skimping on the meds again.

I've read interviews with Albert where he details how welcome he was made
to feel in the Leeds dressing room. He'd come from South African apartheid,
and  expected the changing rooms to be segregated. His team-mates told him
not to be  so daft, and threw him in the bath. Race was not an issue in the
Leeds team, for  sure.

He was much loved by Leeds fans too. There were virtually no black players
at this time (Clyde Best at west Ham was the only other one I can remember
from  the '60s). Sure there would have been the usual shot from away fans,
inevitably.

Personally, as a young lad who'd been captivated by the 66 World Cup (where
 black players such as Pele, and especially Eusebio, had been showcased) it
 seemed exciting that we had Albert in our team. And he was very good - a
proper,  pacy winger.

Sadly injuries (including the sort that would be easily fixable with a bit
of keyhole surgery) really disrupted his career. He got crocked in the 65
cup  final. And later Peter Lorimer made the right side of midfield his own,
so  Albert was on the fringes.

He wasn't looked after when he finished playing, and the story of latter
years were was a sad one. Not sure these lessons have been learned, looking
at  Gazza, Michael Johnson etc.

Mark