Whilst the policy did indeed lift a lot of people out of debt, the
administration of it was a nightmare, it was this I was alluding to. A well
meaning policy but was over bureaucratic in terms of applying, based upon
previous declared earnings and projected earnings that could be manipulated,
hence overpayments that were written off by HMRC. The claiming back of some
overpayments meant that some people (who made an honest mistake) suddenly found
that they had less money than before. Some had debt collection agencies
knocking on the door several years later seeking monies for repayment.