From:  Richard Naef <rich...@triumph-computers.co.uk>
To: 'Leeds leedslist'  <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Sent: Thursday, 4 April 2013,  16:29
Subject: [LU] LU - from our own Mr Whelan.

Since Tim is  obviously too modest to blow his own  trumpet...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/leedsunited/fb_news.php?storyid=31781

80  Years ago today- Sunderland boss denies being a Fascist
Thu 04th Apr 2013  13:07 by Tim Whelan

Looking back at the archives from April 1933, we  find that the new
Sunderland manager, Benito Mussolini, gave a terse  statement to a press
conference in which he denied having Fascist  sympathies.

The new Sunderland manager is a very excitable bald  Italian, who has
previously been photographed giving straight-arm salutes  to large crowds of
right wing supporters in Rome, but yesterday he was  claiming to have been
misquoted when he said "I'm a Fascist, not a  Racist".

Mussolini said "Like my great idol, Paulo Di Canio, I am  opposed to
violence
and some of my best friends are Jewish. Furthermore,  I've no intention of
forming an alliance with the new Nazi regime in  Germany".

He also promised to stick to football while he was in charge  of Sunderland,
without getting involved in politics. "Back in Italy I am  famous for making
the trains run on time, so you can see that I've had no  influence at all on
the performance of Northern Rail in this part of  England".

Looking to the future, Benito said he was inspired by the  'Invest in
Africa'
logo on the Sunderland shirt. "I'm already running a  brutal colonial regime
in Libya, and I've got some exciting ideas as to how  we can take this
forward in the next few years by invading  Abyssinia."

But a lot of Sunderland fans remain unconvinced that Il  Duce' was a wise
choice to be their next manager. Ramsay McDonald has  already resigned as a
director, and thousands of unemployed men in nearby  Jarrow are about to
start a march all the way to London to protest about  his  appointment.

ttfn

Richard

Triumph  Computer Services

01273  505214