I don’t know UK defamation law, but here in California the fact that it is of
“public importance” does not automatically immunize a statement (written or
verbal), but rather confers a “qualified privilege.”  However, my understanding
is that there is no jurisdiction on the planet that does not have TRUTH as a
total defense to a claim of defamation…

Michael A. Gardiner
LAW OFFICES OF MICHAEL A. GARDINER
110 West “A” Street, Suite 950
San Diego, CA  92101
Phone:  619.238.9800
Fax:  619.814.3727
E-mail:  mgardi...@gardinerlegal.com<mailto:mgardi...@gardinerlegal.com>

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic mail transmission, including any
attachments, is privileged and confidential and is intended only for review by
the party to whom it is addressed. It may contain attorney client or attorney
work product privileged and confidential information. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail
and promptly delete this e-mail, including any attachments, without reading or
saving them in any manner. Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver
of the attorney-client or any other privilege.

On Apr 1, 2014, at 4:00 AM,
<leedslist-requ...@gn.apc.org<mailto:leedslist-requ...@gn.apc.org>>
<leedslist-requ...@gn.apc.org<mailto:leedslist-requ...@gn.apc.org>> wrote:

Re: [LU] Cellino Interview

Surely it?s potentially slanderous rather than libellous?
Spoken word rather than written word?

Either way, it seems to be fair comment on a matter of
public importance, therefore not slanderous!!

MOT!