----- Original Message ----- Don't judge a whole country on a few loonies.
I wouldn't wear a Leeds shirt in the area of the stadium. But anywhere else?
Why not?

Whilst I certainly agree with the first comment, unfortunately the rest of it
shows considerable and dangerous ignorance of the geography and the politics.
First of all we are talking Istanbul and not the rest of the country.
The Gala stadium is miles out of town and you could probably march around it
flying
Leeds flags and banners and be totally untroubled unless it was a match day.
They might even invite you in for a coffee.
I wouldn't risk it myself mind you.

The relevant and sensitive area is in Istanbul downtown and specifically Galata
and the old city.
In other words EXACTLY where you are likely to be wandering around as a tourist.
Probably the only safe place to wear a Leeds shirt might be if you visit the
Besiktas or Fenerbache stadiums.

The vast majority of Turkish fans would be fine but Gala has a fair number of
nutcases who won't take time to question your reasons for wandering around in a
Leeds shirt for no obvious purpose. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it they
WILL assume that it is provocation. You might be able to explain your innocence
later, maybe.
The normal ones will be no more than curious and probably just want to talk
football.

Nothing wrong with the sentiments but downtown Istanbul is not the place for
them.

More info sent off list

I don't think that you should look for fights. Nor should you live in fear.
If you want to wear the shirt then wear it. If it's a provocative act on
your part then grow up. But if you want to wear the shirt out of pride then
do so. Remember discretion is the better part of valour. So not near the
ground.
I may have the occasional set to with Heath, but I admire the sentiments.

Dr Michael Benjamin,
Community Psychiatrist

---
is active.