Not the greatest game or the greatest performance ever BUT what a day, what a
great result etc. We went with plenty of trepidation post Millwall and given
all the plaudits Boro have had the first two weeks of the season, and we all
pretty much agreed that 0 0 would be good and all we really wanted was some
improvement and something to give us hope for the future. I am guessing most
listers will have seen the game so I will keep it brief, We had an almost
unbelievable start when Sharp was put through in the first minute and should
have scored but the keeper got down well and the follow up shot by Ajose was
cleared off the line. This coupled with the 'ultras' packing out the South
Stand really cranked up the atmosphere and it never really subsided. After the
early scare Boro took a bit of command and deservedly 'scored' midway through
the half, however the ref gave pretty much the only decision all game our way
and chalked it off (no real idea why) , they
 then came close with a free header, but that apart, despite them looking the
better team and having more control of the game they did very little to trouble
us with Cooper especially on his debut really looking the part. 2 brilliant
goal saving tackles by Warnock having perhaps his best game in a white shirt
kept it at 0 0. Then Sharp got his second good chance of the game but missed
with a free header - Oh no , had he become barndoor Billy mark II - no , no
need to worry, with the clock counting down Poleon won the ball and laid it off
to Tonge who had a decent shot and the keeper spilled it to the feet of our new
goal poacher Billy Sharp who fired it home (and got booked for over exuberant
celebration) then came a nervy 5 extra minutes but we hung on for a great
victory that was well celebrated by fans and players alike. Did we deserve all
3 points, maybe not but we did not deserve to lose either.
We were by no means the finished article and there were times when our
inexperience and lack of cohesion showed, but overall there were a lot more
positives than negatives. Cooper looked like he was born for the role - will he
turn into O'Brien, Tate and Zalilukas who all had great debuts before turning
to sh!t, only time will tell, but he certainly impressed today. Bianchi on the
ball looks good but went missing on occasion, Doukara needs to stay on his feet
and punch his weight but showed some good stuff, Ajose buzzed around and also
showed promise. Silvestri took more balls out of the air than Kenny ever did.
Of the 'old guard' Byram looked a bit out of sorts but Warnock showed what he
should be capable of.
Overall a brilliant day out - Hockadays substitution of Doukara (who took a
knock) for Tonge rather than the expected Smith worked a treat, so fair play to
him.

Too early to get excited but the players would have loved it today and it would
have been an experience all the new players will want to see again, and it does
take the pressure off a bit and give them all some breathing space. Those in
the pub who sang we are going up as fing champions are probably jumping the gun
but if we cannot enjoy today when can we ?

At the back of my mind is the first game last season when Murphy, the £1million
 man, scored with the last kick of the game to send 30k fans home delirious and
looking to the new GFH future under McDermott and we know how that turned out
...But enjoy it while we can, a long way to go but as I said at the start a lot
more positives than negatives. It maybe, just maybe, the start of something
good