I was furious when I left the game. It was not so much the result but the
manner of the defeat.

2 0 up after 30 mins and we should have been home and dry. Unfortunately all
our usual failings came to the fore. Defensive errors, inability to cope with
pace and movement, lacklustre midfield and very little up front.

I think redfearn has been excellent but he was out thought by the Watford
manager. They looked to be offering nothing but he changed things slightly and
every time they ran at us they looked like scoring. I found it frustrating that
we didn't appear to respond and try and do anything different.
Deeney looked class but you're left wondering whether we made him look good.
There was no plan to deal with him when he dropped off into space. One time
second half he dropped off and neither centre back followed. This isn't too bad
because you don't want them being pulled out of position but someone in
midfield has to pick him up but no one did. In the end he drifted over to our
left and suddenly there's a 2 on 1 against Taylor. It's basic stuff - all he
did was drop a few yards and run to his right but we nearly conceded as a
result.

I was surprised that redfearn thought Cook was outstanding, I thought he had
his worst game for us. He looked neat and tidy in possession as usual but all
over the place defensively.
I though mowatt was largely anonymous and slowed a couple of promising moves by
trying to get the ball back on his left foot or by crossing poorly with his
right.
Byram looked good in parts but there's very rarely an end product. Second half
he made a good break into the box , it opened up for a shot on his left but he
tried to get it back on his right and was tackled.
We also seem to waste possession continually with hopeful 50 yard passes or
with little flicks etc with a much easier option on. Austin tried to hit a 50+
yard pass across to sharp second half. Sharp was covered by two defenders and
wouldn't have been able to do anything with it had it reached him. Predictably
it didn't.
I don't get why we're doing stuff like that when we're winning and are
struggling every time Watford get the ball - we don't seem to understand how to
keep the ball.
Sharp scored a tap in but did little else, he's not big enough or quick enough
to play up front on his own. He also missed a sitter just after austin's miss.
If morison isn't fit I'd play antenucci as the lone striker - at least his pace
would trouble defenders.
All in all a disappointing day - gifted a two goal lead by an error and a fluke
from Austin (he'll never hit a ball like that again) but threw it away. 2 0 and
you fucked it up sang the Watford fans and they were right.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone