A few minutes after our goal I headed down to the gents in the Kop…and
approached the doors with some trepidation as there sounded to be proper old
barney going on in there…screaming and shouting and all the rest. Some things
being more important than others, I carried on in, pushed the door open and
peered round the corner to where all the troughs are…and inside there in one
fella all on his own…standing there pissing, facing the wall, jabbing his
finger at the bricks yelling (really yelling!) “…and who thought buying that
fucking Carayol was good idea eh…useless twat, Huddersfield must be laughing
their cocks off at us…at least fat bastard has subbed him off…and that's
another thing, that fat bastard…how can you be manager of a fucking football
team and that fucking fat…I fucking ask you we’re a fucking joke…what a fucking
joke this club is…” then he notices that I’ve come in and am going to have a
piss and he just says, “alright mate” and starts whistling a happy tune.

This was by far the most interesting thing about yesterday’s game.

We have now had a run of 4 or 5 home games - unbeaten - in which we have had
fewer shots on goal than actual goals we have scored. It really takes some
doing. Yesterday, 1 shot on goal. 1 goal. And it was the winner, so yes, 3
points and yes a clean sheet. But fucking hell this is unmitigated garbage we
are being forced to endure week after week.

So what is wrong - some of it is confidence - see Silvestri for this one - he
is a good keeper, in the main, yes he needs to command his box a bit more…but
the one thing he does not need is barracking, because he just folds…show him a
bit of love and he will do well. There was a pretty hard core Anti-Kaspar
Schmeichel brigade…look where he is now.

But most of it is the way the team is set up at home - 4-5-1 - especially with
someone who is not an out and out striker as your front man. It is an
appallingly defensive mindset and hands the initiative to the visitors. If you
then have visitors who want to defend and play on the break (because this is
Elland Road after all…) then you are set up for a turgid stalemate. We need
4-4-2 at the very least. And one of those 2 being Antenucci - he has a bit of
guile and can hold the ball (yes, getting him to let go of the ball is our
major problem with him) - I have no great love for Wood but bloody hell it
shows where we have sunk to that people we relieved when he came on. Some will
point to him “making things happen” in the run up to the goal…and that is
certainly one interpretation; the other is that he is a big lump who stumbled
around in the box trying to get on the end of the cross, when the ball bounced
off him and fell kindly to Doukara, who slotted it home first time…decent
finish.

I don’t know what it is about our midfield…we seem to be turning Bridcutt and
Cook from being useful tenacious little players with an eye for a good pass
into a couple of players who expend tons of energy achieving nothing, losing
the ball needlessly, playing dangerously bad passes to team mates, then
charging recklessly into challenges and getting booked. Adeyemi, I was never
particularly convinced by, but he seemed to be more at home supporting the
front guys and had a decent couple of games just off there, so we drop him.
Murphy flatters to deceive, but at least works hard when he’s trying to close
down their play. Dallas - has flashes of good play, mixed with long periods of
anonymity - which is pretty much the JD of a winger. Mowatt has finally
decelerated so much that he is overtaken by growing grass. Oh, and we sold
Byram…(photo of him in the WH game in our paper this morning, did nothing for
my mood). Carayol - only 2 games (that I’ve seen) so far and one moment of
brilliance…and what of Botaka?

Then there is Scott Wootton…this is one of the longest running jokes in recent
history…other teams actively leave him alone so that we pass to him…it is like
putting the game on pause…as the “converted centre half” tries to work why this
round thing keeps coming back to him cos he’s sure he kicked it away only a few
minutes ago.

The other problem is our inherent negativity…the passing goes along our back
four minute after minute until one of the witless fuckers gets bored and thumps
a punt out towards a corner flag. Even when we have made a sudden break and
turned play and are heading into the opposition half, the odds are that one of
ours when he gets the ball will turn around and play it back…and further
back…eventually ending up with the keeper. It is demoralising stuff. There is
value in keeping the ball, yes, but there is even more value in scoring a goal
or two. I can’t believe this is the “natural way” this group of players play
the game, this has to be a directive from the coach. Just look at how we take
all 11 men back into penalty area when the opposition get a corner/free kick.
just having numbers in there solves nothing - they have to actively defend,
mark a man, watch the runners etc - never mind that it leaves us with no
outlet.

And yesterday, we win a corner 5 minutes from time and we are so scared that we
leave 7 men back around half way…just in case…the City defenders were looking
round to see what was going on.

So, in summary, Evans is out of his depth, he has been reasonably lucky but it
won’t continue and we look to be a good bet for 15th again…and next time it
will probably be me yelling at the walls in the gents...

Rarely have I “enjoyed” a victory so little.