It never ceases to amaze me how many people who seem compelled to air their
opinion on football (including so-called experts on telly) have no real
understanding of the game.

I've just seen the highlights of our "magnificent victory at Cardiff" (as
described all over any and every medium.) OK, I know it's only the
highlights, but............let's cf the "brilliant performance" in Wales
with the "abject capitulation" at Brighton.

In both games there was a 50-50 penalty call in our box (v Brighton it was
given, v Cardiff it was not.) In both games Bamba gave the ball away 45 yds
from goal with very little cover (v Brighton it was punished with a goal, v
Cardiff he got away with it.) In the dreadful Brighton game we had 19
shots, in the wonderful Cardiff game we had 10. Brighton (who destroyed us,
apparently) had 11 shots; soundly-beaten Cardiff had 25.

You could change absolutely nothing in the two matches, except reverse the
rub of the green for just a few incidents, and we could have won down at
Brighton and been pasted down at Cardiff.