A bit of a reality check I thought.
A game that showed that WBA still have to players of premier league quality and
our reserve players are not at the same level as our first choice eleven.
January is going to be crucial for us now.
I like BPF , I’m always more sympathetic to the lads that have come through the
academy but I’m afraid he’s just not up to it. He’s been directly responsible
for a large number of our goals conceded and the second was crucial yesterday.
I thought he could have done better with the first goal but the second was
appalling. At 1-0 I thought we were still in it but 2-0 the game is up. They
could afford to sit back and hit us on the counter. Like Wiedwald last season
he’s benefited from us being solid in front of him and not having a lot to do.
I’d start Blackman next game but to be fair he didn’t look great in the Preston
cup game.
I’m still not convinced Dallas is even a footballer but he’s certainly not a
full back. He started most of their attacks by crossing the ball to no one and
was constantly out of position defensively. How can someone who’s a winger ,
allegedly, be so bad at crossing the ball?
He was out of position for the first and third goals and the fourth came down
his side. We weren’t helped for the third by Harrison losing the ball cheaply
though.
I think Phillips looks worse when Forshaw plays. Forshaw drops too deep into
the area Phillips is normally in but isn’t as good at passing as Phillips and
keeps giving the ball away. I thought the balance was better with Klich in that
role and Saiz further forward. I remain to be convinced that Forshaw is any
good.
I’m no fan of Roofe but I don’t think you can fault his effort or his goals
this season. It’s difficult to judge him on a game where we didn’t give him
much to feed off.
I thought Alioski was poor again and I was very surprised that Douglas was
taken off instead.
It’s hard to be too down when we’ve had a bad run and are still 3rd but i think
we need a few players signed in January.
For me, we need a decent keeper, a right back (ideally on a similar level to
Douglas so we have that threat from both sides) , a left winger (or give Clarke
a run) and a striker. Gayle looked sharp when he came on - if he was available
why couldn’t we have got him on loan?