The old stadium could not have looked lovelier on this perfect Easter day,
packed to the rafters in glorious spring sunshine. The mood has been
nothing but celebratory, of course, ever since the 7-0 demolition of
Fulham, but we were all nevertheless outraged by the news that the FA had
banned Kalvin Phillips for the rest of the season as his hairstyle brings
the game into disrepute. Most people around me were in general agreement,
but found the timing highly questionable.

As expected, Berardi came in for Phillips, but not as expected, he actually
occupied KP's berth, leaving White in his normal spot. I was a bit confused
about the Stoke lineup as they seemed to be playing with 12 men. I wondered
if the FA had granted all teams a special disposition to field an extra
player against Leeds because otherwise Bielsa's boys just overwhelm
everybody, but then a lad behind me told me that Martins Indi is actually
one player with two names, not two players.

Stoke pulled the pathetic, infuriating and inevitably backfiring stunt of
making us kick towards the Kop first half. This seemed to annoy the lads,
and they were snapping into tackles right from the off. Berardi was booked
after 4 mins for upending both Martins and Indi with one plough. Stoke were
under the cosh, but finally ventured upfield and even registered quite a
good shot from the edge of the box. Meslier was forced into the first real
save he's had to make as a Leeds player and tipped it round the post
competently. The 19 optimists in red-and-white scarves got all excited,
although what the point of their Harry Potter chant was I couldn't fathom.
You fools, I thought..........and sure enough, someone managed to head the
ball away from around the penalty spot, Klich touched it to Costa who raced
away with the ball. He spotted Harrison sprinting up the right wing and
played it on to him. Harry took it on a bit, cut inside onto his left foot,
and slid a lovely ball into the box for an onrushing white shirt, who swept
it imperiously into the top corner.

To everyone's amazement, the wearer of that shirt turned out to
be........Berardi!

We kept on dominating, pinging the ball about, switching positions, working
not just triangles but complete bloody dodecahedrons. One Stoke player had
to have a new top brought on because he had been dragged about so much that
the stripes on his shirt were all twisted.

Harrison hit the bar. The lad behind me reckoned that this was the 13th
match in a row that Harrison had hit the woodwork and was sure it was a
World Record.

Butland in the Stoke goal was, of course, having the game of his life.

But eventually, on about the half hour mark, the second came. We swung a
corner into the mixer, it pinged about a bit before falling to, yes Berardi
again, and he lashed a volley into the roof of the net.

Two minutes later, after another lovely move saw the ball switched back to
Pablo, he touched it on to Berardi, about 35 yards out. Shooooot, cried the
crowd, predictably. What was not predictable was that he did shoot, and it
bent into the top corner like Billy's famous goal at Hampden Park. 3-0! Get
in!

Two minutes later, Berardi again tried to separate Martins from Indi and
received his second yellow card. He tried to get the ref to give him the
match ball before departing, but the bastard in magenta refused.

So, a lot to talk over at halftime. I was surprised to see that everyone
was drinking corona beer. I asked one lad why, and he said he wasn't sure,
but it seemed that one person kind of got the bug to drink it, and then it
seemed to spread like, er...........a virus? Weird times.

In the second half, our 10 men were still too good for the 12 of Stoke, but
with a crowded easter programme ahead, we sensibly elected to just knock
the ball about and cruise home without any major alarums.

Scores on the doors:
Berra 10
Everyone else 8.75