Not sure i expected much different from what we saw to be honest. And I think
it pretty clearly demonstrates where we are. We’re not really match for the top
6 or 7 (yet), we have effort, heart, sustained durability and good
self-belief…and every now and then we will catch one on a bad day and beat
them...what we don’t have is that step up in class, which all the mega bucks
buys you…so, as we all thought, when you make a mistake you are much more
likely to get punished.

What we do look like is a good bet for the mid-table thanks to our goalscoring,
which is clearly something we can do against (almost) anyone.

The penalty was borderline - but so was ours against Burnley (these things
still even out even though VAR was supposed to get rid of chance / bad
decisions) - I can see why it was given and In real time I thought it was a
penalty, only the really slow motion showed the main contact was outside the
box…still though Alioski was wrong side because he had moved out in
anticipation of a better clearance from Meslier.

The second goal - beautifully taken though it was came from one lost ball in
midfield and a mistimed tackle on Kane.

The third was Meslier coming out for high ball - which he has obviously been
drilled to do - and Son being too cute when taking the corner, leaving the
keeper too far out to recover.

We huffed and puffed - could have had a couple with more composure…but that is
also the class-gulf. We looked a sharper proposition when Pablo came on.

Meslier - he’s naive at times and his distribution occasionally veers madly of
course but I like him as a keeper, he’s brave, he stops shots and he picks
himself up and dusts himself down for the next one. I think he’s got heart and
a good future.

I like Struijk and I think he is worth persevering with but whether in midfield
or defence I don’t know. Kane did him, but he is top class.

Ayling is doing all that could be asked really for someone out of position,

Dallas - awesome work rate, but still worryingly ’not really a full back’

Alioski - is not a full back - 2 minutes after the daft challenge for the
penalty, he flew into another in the box

We know the problem with Philips - give him space and he’s brilliant - pressure
him and run at him with speed and he struggles. But we are better with him in
than out. Suspended next time. Let’s see.

Klich must be getting close to being dropped - it isn’t working for him - hard
to know where it is going wrong but it is…

Harrison, Bamford and Raphinha were pretty much peripheral (as was Poveda when
he came on)

Rodrigo worked hard, looks for the passes and covers a huge amount of
ground…but he is apparently a #9 not a #10…so let’s see whether him and Bamford
can play as twin forwards.

We are still the best team to watch in this damn league by a mile.

Nick