I thought this was one of our worst performances under Bielsa - if you were
looking for proof of a trademark late-season Bielsa slump, you would have found
it at the AmEx yesterday. It's hard to know why we've failed to perform against
Brighton twice this season. One factor is clearly the absence of Phillips - the
one player for whom we have no like-for-like replacement (other than the
permanently-injured Forshaw). Phillips missed both Brighton games, and we
desperately missed him. The continuing absence of Raphinha also affected our
ability to get behind Brighton's back line. It didn't help that Costa -
Raphinha's not-really-adequate replacement - was also unavailable. I also think
we missed Cooper's leadership qualities more than his defensive nous. Nobody
seemed to be grabbing the team by the collective scruff of the neck.
Having said all that, the players on the field almost to a man played well
below par. Ayling repeatedly gave the ball away, Alioski's craziness got the
better of him, and Klich and Roberts were almost invisible. The team's usual
energy was notably missing all over the field.
I also think Bielsa got the second-half subs wrong - not the players who came
on, but those he took off. Why take off Bamford? He'd been given no service -
not his fault. And Llorente was also unlucky to be yanked - he was one of the
few players who weren't repeatedly messing up. I can't understand why Roberts
and Klich weren't the ones to make way.
It's hard to ignore the Ben White factor. It would almost be dereliction of
duty for Potter to not sit White down a few days before a game with Leeds and
say, "Okay, Ben, you played and trained with these guys all of last season -
how do we stop them?"
The performance against Spurs will tell us whether this game was just a case of
too many injuries and too many other players off their game at the same time,
or a deeper late-season malaise.
Cheers!
Sean