" and that's how the world ends not  with a bang but with a Wimpey" John
Cooper Clarke
We sat outside the pub in the sunshine drinking and smiling but none if us
believed, we weren't discussing the possible permutations,  we all accepted
reality ,  but if only.... . The one thing we knew was that we had to really go
for  it against an on  the beach Spurs,  we needed to win by 3 to give
ourselves even a glimmer of hope.
 The last straw snapped when we saw the team news, 8 defensive players plus
Rod, Harrison and the hapless McKinnie WTF ?
The mood on the bus and as I arrived seconds before kick off was buoyant and
upbeat but at the same time resigned.
We started brightly 4 or 5 passes and then a stray pass straight to a Spurs
player, we then stood off them and watched as for 90 seconds they kept the ball
with pass after pass after pass,  none under pressure, till they realised that
some bloke called Kane, the most prolific English goal scorer of his generation
was totally unmarked so they passed to him with the obvious end result.  None
of us shouted for offside so VAR did not give us any hope. 2 mins gone and
already losing,  or as the eloquent text I received from my wife said "2
minutes, 2 f-ing minutes WANKERS" , exactly my dear , exactly.
We then huffed and puffed till half time, a simple header missed by Rodrigo our
only real clear opportunity.
Half time came, the 2 other games were at 0-0 so conceivably a win could still
do it, of course that dream was short lived as again within 2 minutes of kick
off they had scored again
The crowd remained remarkably upbeat and friendly,  making their feelings known
by frequent chants of " Marcelo Bielsa " ( wow how they have ruined the great
man's legacy) followed by chants for his players Berra, Klich, Pablo, Dallas
all had their names sung, followed more strangely by Pontus and Samu Saiz,.
Then came Matteo,  Beckford and Kandol who scored in the San siro, a scum
shithole and a scouse shithole respectively.  Gary Speed,  Lucas and Becchio
still being better than Berbatov got mentions, as we enjoyed the sunshine,
apart from one lone pitch invader who gave the inept stewards the runaround.

Then the remarkable happened Jack Harrison,  for possibly the last time for us,
 turned into the square balls Jackie Harradonna, beat 2 players and rifled
home. Great jubilation in the stands, could we make a come back and go down
fighting?
Pre game 2 stats had been mentioned,  the loss of 25 points when we have scored
first / been ahead and a new one for me, the speed in which we prove the old
adage ' you are most vulnerable after you score' true. We have set a new record
of on average conceding within 5 minutes of scoring . Well that record had a
few seconds shaved off it as Spurs took one minute to restore their 2 goal
cushion through " hes never won f all Harry Kane" .
The crowd turned a bit then, " you're not fit to wear the shirt   sack the
board and Radziani f off home" all got airings.
The 90 came and went and the fans again tried as ALAW echoed round the ground
to watch the spurs sub,Moura just waltz through us all and make it 4.A fitting
end to the game and the season
It showed how spineless,  gutless , unco-ordinated and generally dreadful we
have been. Throwing away chance after chance to save ourselves .Chants of
Marcelo Bielsa amongst the boos as we remembered better times.
The players did ( fittingly) a half arsed walk round the ground, good servants,
 the Bielsa boys, Harrison,  Luke Ayling, cooper and Dallas all got applause,
the rest got the abuse their performances merited.  We really have been a
shambles
We all agreed it makes no difference,  we will be there next season enjoying a
drink and a catch up, hoping to watch something good on the pitch but I have
been told we have 52 days to get the ownership sorted,  a new director of
football / player recruitment,  a manager and his coaches , then ship out
anyone who wants to go / need off the wage bill / want rid of, get in new
players and gel them into a team who will challenge at the top of the
division,. We need   a miracle worker,  or Bielsa mark II if such a man is
possible
Dave " its only football "Marching on Together