> Why? If we're debt-free, with all the big-money earners finally off the
> books, a solid support base and new sponsorship deals being done, why do 
> you   assume we're on the verge of disaster? I'm not saying we're not, but 
> I'd like to   know what exactly is leading you to that conclusion?

This summer was supposed to be the time when all the big money earners had 
gone. They should have all be paid off during last season so that they were 
eroded down to near zero. Instead it is obvious that the club had not been 
paying them and instead they have now been crystalized into "football 
creditors".
The Football League will not let Leeds United regain the "Golden Share" if 
these football creditors are not paid in full by the new owners of the club. 
It may be that the Newco can negotiate something with these football 
creditors but given their recent experiences and the reported mood of other 
clubs chairmen and agents I'm not sure that there will be a great deal of 
understanding or co-operation and that it may all need to be settled as lump 
sums on the nail. That would be an instant drain on capital. Then the club 
is likely to face a situation of having to pay in advance for all goods and 
services and possibly to be required to hand over VAT collected and PAYE/NI 
perhaps even weekly. That represents an up front funding requirment and no 
cashflow "subsidy" from the tax collected prior to its being paid over to 
HMRC.
If any credit card companies are involved in season ticket or match day 
ticket receipts they may be unwilling to take on the liability for services 
which have not yet been delivered by the club. This again would hold back 
the cashflow.
How will other clubs require payment for away tickets ?  I don't know.
Sponsors may wish to make their payments as we go through the season rather 
than upfront (as we have already been reading in some instances).
All of this funding and cashflow requirement has to be budgeted for BEFORE 
there is any kitty available for transfer fees on incoming players. Will 
selling clubs give us credit or terms or will they demand full payment 
immediately ? Some clubs may and some may not but this could affect who we 
can buy.
I'm not expecting the club to fall off a cliff but I can see how our squad 
might be underfunded if considerable capital isn't available very soon. 
Hopefully this is all in hand and is all part of the plan. Hopefully. Nobody 
wants any doom and gloom at this time of the year. This club in particular 
needs to be on an upbeat note and we certainly don't want to be hearing 
complaints from the boardroom that the business community of Leeds is not 
coming up with money to fulfil Bates' expectations. I suspect that the money 
is going to have to come from the same offshore sources as before.  The 28 
days will soon be up and we will be able to see if any money is available to 
spend. We need a squad capable of winning from the outset so that we 
generate increasing match day ticket sales and other receipts and so that we 
get onto an upward path and release the pent up energy of the fanbase. It 
can be done but I think it will need an injection of capital right now. 
Please do me a favour and show me the flaws in my thinking. Show me why and 
where I am wrong. My sincere hope is that I have simply got too close to the 
window and I can't see this all properly any more. I hope that I have missed 
some totally obvious and simple factors that make all of this posting a load 
of rubbish and a waste of my time writing it and your time in reading it.
I sincerely wish to be hopelessly wrong here. I'll feel a bit silly no doubt 
but it will be worth it. 


_______________________________________________
the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators 
accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors. 
Leedslist mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
Join The Leeds United Supporters Trust at www.lufctrust.org 

Reply via email to