Having been the victim of first internet and then computer problems I've only 
just had the 
chance to catch up on mail from the last week or so including reading through 
the, often 
heated, exchanges on poppies, poppy fascism and remembrance. It has had the 
advantage 
of being able to take everything in more or less at once from the, shall we 
say, more 
extreme viewpoints at the different ends via those of a more moderate and 
balanced 
disposition which has meant it's possibly been a little easier to get an 
overall grasp of the, 
er, discussion so let me throw in my two eurocents worth as remembrance day 
draws to a 
close ...

Being brought up in Britain I guess I became aware of the 11/11 from an early 
age, of the 
remembrance for the fallen and the poppy appeal. Over the years I have seen it 
not exactly 
dumb down but change in approach. When I was young[sic] remembrance day was on 
the 
11/11 itself whatever day of the week it was. That was when the wreaths where 
laid at the 
Cenotaph and other war memorials, when the parades and services where held. 
Gradually 
the significance changed and remembrance day was moved to the nearest Sunday to 
the 
11/11. In recent years I think I am right in saying there has been a growing 
resurgence for 
remembrance day, probably the result of the growing number of conflicts in the 
world,  with 
some attention being given to the 11/11 but remembrance day itself still being 
on the 
nearest Sunday.

It was when I moved to the Netherlands I became aware of a different 
significance, another 
aspect of remembrance. Remembrance day here is held on May 4th, in effect the 
final day 
of WW2 in the Netherlands, followed by Liberation day the next day, May 5th, 
when the 
Germans signed the official surrender in the Netherlands. It still has a big 
impact on the 
country, both young and old, possibly more than in the UK I would say. The Act 
of 
Remembrance and the two minutes silence are always in the evening at 20.00 and 
always 
on the 4th May. The first year I was here and on a train from Den Haag to 
Amsterdam when 
in the middle of nowhere it slowed down and stopped. I wondered what was going 
on till 
someone explained it was eight in the evening and time for the two minutes 
silence for 
remembrance for the fallen. Later I became aware how this happened in different 
circumstances. Not just public transport that would stop, not just the many 
gatherings of 
people at memorials but motorists who would pull up and stop their cars, even 
on the 
motorways, people on the streets, in cafes who would stop talking and stand 
still.

The big difference though is Remembrance is not just for those in the armed 
forces who fell 
in all conflicts, up to and including ongoing ones, but for everyone including 
civilians. True, 
those who where in the resistance in WW2 who died have a special significance 
but the 
remembrance includes all the fallen. Maybe this has to do with a country that 
was occupied 
as opposed to one that wasn't (though I don't remember the same thing in 
Denmark) so that 
it impinged on the population more directly but it is all encompassing. True, 
at the 
Remembrance service on the Dam the armed forces are significantly present but 
so are 
civilians as well and at many other memorials services take place for civilians 
who where 
shot or killed, either for being members of the resistance or as reprisals or 
otherwise died.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by some about the way it seems to have 
become 
obligatory to wear a poppy. The BBC was mentioned where everyone but everyone 
seems to 
have one on (though never checked to see if the Blue Peter dog or other other 
animals 
where one). This just becomes a ritual and loses its significance. It should be 
a something 
one wants to do and not feels one has to do. 

Finally to the remark "The country needs armed forces and if nobody signed up 
voluntarily 
we would have to have conscription / national service." I would say not 
necessarily. How 
about as an alternative training everyone, starting at primary school, in NVDR?

Okay, that's my thoughs. I'll now see what Newsnight has to say - they have a 
piece coming 
up on the First World War poets.

guy



_______________________________________________
the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators 
accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors.
Leedslist mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
Volame vsechny Cechy

Reply via email to