I am involved with a number of women's organisations - we are absolutely
appalled by this attempt at a cohesive, inspirational, inclusive preamble
to the constitution.  I will post a copy of a media release by the Women's
Electoral Lobby next.

Judy Harrison
National Women's Justice Coalition Inc.

Judy H

www.nwjc.org.au

*******************

http://www.pm.gov.au/media/pressrel/1999/preamble.htm

                                           PREAMBLE TO THE CONSTITUTION

The Federal Coalition Joint Party Room has today overwhelmingly endorsed a
draft preamble to the Federal Constitution to be put to the Australian
people in
conjunction with the referendum on whether Australia should become a
republic later this year.

In issuing the text of that draft the Federal Government is inviting public
comment on it and that comment will be considered before the final preamble
document is
put to the Australian electorate.

The preamble itself will be a schedule to an Act authorising the matter to
be submitted to a referendum. That legislation will be circulated by the
Federal
Attorney-General, the Hon Daryl Williams MP.

The legislation will contain a clause declaring that the preamble has no
legal force or effect and cannot be invoked in the interpretation of the
Commonwealth
Constitution. The text of the draft preamble approved by the Joint Party
Room is attached.

                                                     DRAFT PREAMBLE

With hope in God, the Commonwealth of Australia is constituted by the equal
sovereignty of all its citizens.

The Australian nation is woven together of people from many ancestries and
arrivals.

Our vast island continent has helped to shape the destiny of our
Commonwealth and the spirit of its people.

Since time immemorial our land has been inhabited by Aborigines and Torres
Strait Islanders, who are honoured for their ancient and continuing cultures.

In every generation immigrants have brought great enrichment to our
nation’s life.

Australians are free to be proud of their country and heritage, free to
realise themselves as individuals, and free to pursue their hopes and
ideals. We value excellence
as well as fairness, independence as dearly as mateship.

Australia’s democratic and federal system of government exists under law to
preserve and protect all Australians in an equal dignity which may never be
infringed by
prejudice or fashion or ideology nor invoked against achievement.

In this spirit we, the Australian people, commit ourselves to this
Constitution.

Referendum on the Republic 1999 Website

Return to Media Releases

        http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/mhutton/index.html