From: The National Women's Justice Coalition Inc.

Please circulate this widely through your networks. Take the web link below
for formatted downloadable information for faxing and copying.

Response to questionnaire needed by 10 September 1999.

Dear Colleagues,

PPROPOSED NATIONAL CONFERENCE - WOMEN IN REGIONAL AUSTRALIA: LEGAL NEEDS
AND ACCESS TO LEGAL SERVICES,  Albury-Wodonga, Nov. '99
updates: http://www.nwjc.org.au/regionalaustralia.htm

The National Women's Justice Coalition Inc. is seeking your views. We are
looking at the level of interest and support for a national conference in
Albury/Wodonga over two or three days in the second week of November 1999.
The proposed conference is titled: Women in Regional Australia  Legal Needs
and Access to Legal Services.

Additional information is below together with a short questionnaire. We are
seeking responses to the questionnaire to the address given by 10 September
1999.

Given that time is short, we do seek your assistance to pass this letter
and the questionnaire through your networks.

The NWJC gratefully acknowledges the assistance of the Law Founation of NSW
and the Victoria Law Foundation in providing matching grants for the
scoping of this conference. We also acknowledge the support of the
following in relation to the conference: * Ass. Professor Margaret Alston,
Associate Director, Centre for Rural Social Research, Charles Sturt
University * Helen Baraclough, Chair, National Network of Women's Legal
Services * Helen Board, National Facilitator, Regional and Rural Women's
Unit, Department of Transport and Regional Services * Richard  Coates,
Australian Legal Assistance Forum and  Director NT Legal Aid * Australian
Women in Agriculture * Mary-Anne Noone, Director, Law Program, School of
Law and Legal Studies La Trobe University * Sue Pinckham, Convenor,
National  Network of Aboriginal Women's Legal Services
* Rural Community Legal Centres Network * Val Lang, President, Foundation
for  Australian Agricultural Women * Merran Lawler, Convenor, National
Association of Community Legal Centre * Brian Withers, Chair, Access to
Justice Committee, Law Council of Australia.

Regards,

Judy Harrison                    Helen McGowan
Convenor, NWJC               Project Co-ordinator
20 August '99

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Women in Regional Australia- Legal Needs and Access to Legal Services,
Albury-Wodonga, 2-3 days 2nd week of Nov. '99  Registration $350 or less

http://www.nwjc.org.au/regionalaustralia.htm

More than two million Australian women live outside metropolitan areas.
This conference would focus on diverse legal needs and service delivery
issues relating to women living in rural, regional and remote areas.

Reports by local and regional community organisations from many parts of
Australia highlight needs for legal services for women in their area,
including limited access to legal information, representation and essential
support services.

The conference will focus on diverse needs at a local and regional level
and aim to:

* draw out themes for local, state and federal government policy
development,
* build new networks and partnerships between researchers, community
workers, legal service providers and government agencies, and

* examine service delivery models and practical solutions.

The conference will provide an opportunity to showcase and debate
innovative legal information and legal service delivery models.

At this stage we are seeking YOUR VIEWS to help us determine the likely
level of interest in the conference and obtain input on the issues and
themes which should be addressed. A short questionnaire is attached for
return to the address given by 10 Sept. '99.

QUESTIONNAIRE

PROPOSED NATIONAL CONFERENCE

WOMEN IN REGIONAL AUSTRALIA  LEGAL NEEDS AND ACCESS TO LEGAL SERVICES
Albury/Wodonga 2-3 days 2nd week of Nov. '99

Return to Helen McGowan, Project Co-ordinator, NWJC Regional Women's Legal
Needs Conference, C/- Albury/Wodonga Community Legal Centre, 593 Olive
Street Albury NSW 2640, fax: 02 60562946 ph: 02 60568210 email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] by 10 September 1999

1. I would be likely to attend this conference  YES / NO (circle)
Additional comments:

2. I would like the conference to address the following issues: (attach
page with additional comments if necessary)

3. I would like to present at this conference   (             )   type YES
if applicable
If so, please attach an outline (not more than 300 words) and indicate if
you are proposing a plenary paper, workshop session or other presentation
or event. Please make sure that your full contacts are included and
complete the registration of interest on the next page.

4. Project showcase
I think that the following projects and/or models for service delivery are
particularly effective, or have special potential, in meeting the legal or
legal-related needs of women or groups of women in regional, rural or
remotel Australia:  (Please list, provide brief details and relevant
contacts  attach an additional page if ecessary)

5. Reports and research     YES /NO  (indicate as appropriate)
I am attaching copies of, or a list of references to, reports, research or
work in progress about the legal needs of women in rural, remote and
regional Australia and /or about service delivery models. Please list
reports, research and work in progress giving the name of the work, author,
date published or completed.

6. Registration of interest
I understand that at present the NWJC is gauging interest in this
conference. If the conference proceeds, I would like to receive further
information about this conference.

Name:

Address:
(include organisation if applicable)

Postcode

Ph: (          )                   Fax: (          )

Email:

Web:

* I would also like to join the pre conference
announcement email list      YES /NO  (circle)

7. Sponsorship
Offers and inquiries about financial and in-kind support for this
conference are welcome.

********
PLEASE RETURN BOTH PAGES OF YOUR COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE BY 10 SEPTEMBER  TO: