A woman with a psychiatric disability had a great letter published in
The Age today (Thursday 6/4)-- her response to the Welfare Reform
interim report.

The Age's website has be screwy this morning, so I don't know if the
letter is available online. Someone may want to type it up if it's
not.

-----

Bear in Mind have got our hands on one of the rare-as-hen's-teeth
hardcopy versions of the report. We were also sent a questionnaire to
fill out about it.

The questionnaire has to be returned to FaCS by April 30th. The email
address for return: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The questions we were asked:

1. Do you support the broad thrust of the interim report that the key
goal of the social support system should be to help people access
opportunitirs for economic and social participation?

2. Would you support an integrated payment structure for people of
workforce age to replace the current system of income support?

3. Do you agree with the report's suggestions about the obligations of
government, business, the broader community and individulas in
increasing economic and social participation?

4. In what circumstances is it reasonable to require some form of
social or economic participation, from people who have the capacity,
as the basis for income support provision to people of workforce age?

5. Do you concider that improved (financial) incentives are required
to increase economic participation? If so, what do you see as being
the highest priority for this?

6.What changes to service delivery arrangements would be required to
facilitate income support repients of workforce age increasing their
economic and social participation?

7. Are there any other issues you would like to raise?

Go for it, people! :)

          Ria Strong
      Melbourne, Australia